Saturday, March 23, 2013

A Saturday of Satisfying Grossness

I was under the impression more vets are this way, since I worked with one in highs school, but I am apparently mistaken- it's just me. I love abscesses.
Saturdays are half days at the clinic and there are no appointments. This means just about anything goes. We may just see a group of heifers for brucellosis vaccination because we are conveniently open on Saturday morning, or we might see something pretty weird. Today it was both.
First up was a kitty that had been acting pretty lethargic for a few days and had a fever. To be honest an abscess is not the first thing that would come to mind with that history but they seem to be pretty common in Sulphur Springs. So we scrubbed it up and I put a good sized hole in the bottom part and let it drained. Obviously this smelled awful but that's not the point. See, how many things in medicine can you fix just by poking a hole in something and washing out the hole? I feel like I'm practicing Middle Ages medicine, draining the bad humors out. But here's the thing- it WORKS.
Next up in the line of grossness was a horse. This horse was worth exactly $10, so of course our options are pretty limited. This guy had a huge bulge on his lip that the owner reported had been there for two months. He was lucky- we popped a hole in it and fluid came out so we knew we could do something about it for cheap (surgical removal of a mass us a good bit more expensive). So we did the same thing as with the cat but the funny thing is that instead of getting white smelly pus as you would expect with an abscess, we got a thick yellow tinted clear material. Strange right?
So that is all in fun veterinary news for the day. Tobin and Kallie took me to the candy store this afternoon. We got popcorn and various candy. I also got some stuff for Jordan (a bacon sucker, bacon jelly beans, and bacon cheddar popcorn). They had weird soda flavors as well so I tried Green Apple Jalapeño, which was pretty terrible. Not, actually, because of the jalapeño as you might expect though... The green apple flavoring was just really pretty gross.

Tomorrow the plan is to go to visit some family and then apply for some more jobs (fun fun). Let you know how that goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment